¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Unnatural"



According to Dictionary.com, unnatural means:
–adjective
1. contrary to the laws or course of nature.
2. at variance with the character or nature of a person, animal, or plant.
3. at variance with what is normal or to be expected: the unnatural atmosphere of the place.
4. lacking human qualities or sympathies; monstrous; inhuman: an obsessive and unnatural hatred.
5. not genuine or spontaneous; artificial or contrived: a stiff, unnatural manner.
6. Obsolete. lacking a valid or natural claim; illegitimate.


Now, I'm not sure I know exactly when to call something "unnatural". If I think about something that is contrary to the laws of nature, like #1 says, then my first thought is that 2 different species cannot mate and produce viable offspring. (A bear and a snail, for example...)

However, when considering something (like this picture of a corset piercing) that is considered unnatural and therefore rechazado, I'm not sure "unnatural" is the right word to use. Don't get me wrong please, I'm not saying that everyone should go out and get corset piercings, bu I do think that it is human nature to push boundaries of what is and isn't acceptable behavior and to push against what is "normal and expected". All of the great artists, poets, novelists, and formidable personalities of history are considered great because they thought up something new and incorporated it into the collective conscious. Not only have they diversified our collective consciousness, making it more colorful, but they have asked us to question our beliefs about what is and isn't natural. They have asked us to question the origin of our ideas and encouraged us to think for ourselves that much more.

So, though I don't particularly want holes in my back through which I could pass a ribbon, I'm glad that someone did it. That way, I am able to appreciate the beauty in what was done, while simultaneously appreciating the grotesqueness of the act. I just hope this girl never gets in a physical fight!

No comments: