¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Color Green

I haven't written in the blog for over a week because I have been in Ohio with my family preparing our house because they are getting ready to sell it to move to Phoenix where my father got a new job. So, I've been thinking a lot about all the things I will miss about Ohio. We moved there when I was 13 and it's become home though I've spent most of my life in other places. One of the things I was thinking was how wonderfully green the state is. Even in winter, the lawn was green because it's fertile farm country and it gets moisture on a weekly, if not, daily basis. Green symbolizes so much to me. It is the color of life really and I find it rather beautiful. I have spent very little time in Arizona but one thing I am sure it is not is a green and fertile state. However, I am sure that it will have its own charms that I will come to discover. (I'm excited that it's warm almost year round and that there are palm trees there). This move won't affect me very much as I live here in Utah and will for at least the next couple of years while I finish school but it is interesting to consider what a vast and different nation we live in. It's different everywhere you look depending on where you are. The midwest I know and love is green. One could say Utah is white for its snow-capped mountains. Maybe the southwest is a reddish-brown for the desert and Florida could be blue because it's surrounded by water. Whatever color you love from wherever you're from is good I think. It's just amazing that there are so many colors. I read on Wikipedia that Arguedas named his novel Los Rios Profundos for several reasons. One of them was that he thought the symbolism of deep rivers could be a metaphor for his Peruvian homeland and represent it's national identity. I wonder what we could use to represent our national identity? I think there are too many beauties here to pick just one. Since it's near and dear to my heart, I might pick the fields of Ohio and the lush greenery that is always there. What would you pick???

No comments: