¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Friday, April 9, 2010

My encounter with Greenpeace

So this afternoon while I was walking to the library I saw two women talking to a man sitting down. I glanced over because the man was taking off his sock and showing the girls his foot. i assumed they were acquaintances and continued walking inside. I made eye contact with one of the girls and she immediately asked if she could talk to me. I don't like turning people down (I think most of know what it feels like when all you want to do is share a simple message and someone else is rude) when they ask me for a moment of my time so i listened to her prepared speech. She told me about how the rain forest is being burned at so many acres per day and that the desire of Greenpeace is to target certain entrepreneurs and make them change the products that they use to create the products that they sell. I guess I have a harsh stigma about what it means to be a member of Greenpeace and declined to add my name to their supporters. I feel like if I am going to put my name on something I had better have a strong conviction of what it is that I am supporting.

3 comments:

CatherineJ said...

Joe, I got pulled aside by the Greenpeace people this past week too. I also listened to their message and thought that what they said was interesting and sad. (Corporations are destroying many, many acres of land for the profit of their businesses). It definitely is something that the world needs to be aware of so that it can be controlled and/or stopped. I too though declined to be part of their organization. They said that a "small" donation would be appreciated to continue on their work. I am a POOR college student and I wish I could spend money to save the planet but I don't have the money to spread around right now. It also always makes me nervous to give to something if I don't know how much of the money is actually going to help the cause and how much is going to their "overhead" costs. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is.

CatherineJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Nelson said...

I had a friend that was with green peace and is probably is still today. I remember the conversations that we use to have in the car and in school. They have some really good points and arguments about the damage that urbanizaion is doing to the enviornment. When I hear the statistics I feel bad and wish there was something that someone would do or that I could do. Its just that our culture is about self happiness and that comes from a robust economy and business and the furthing of markets. I think that nothing will change dramatically until our own culture changes in some dramatic way.