¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Carbon Offset

The video I posted talked about carbon offset. What is it? Well, basically you pay money to make up for your carbon glut. But after doing some research I'm still not exactly sure how it offsets your footprint. I mean, it's not like playing money to an organization is magically going to make the exhaust from your car disappear. From what I've read, it "represents" a reduction in CO2 production. If anyone has better information on the subject,please reply because I'm very curious about how it works.

2 comments:

Taldaean said...

Not that this is exactly what you are talking about but with cars and emissions I know of a few facts. If you ever watch "an inconvenient truth" you will hear Al Gore talk about how the US has the lowest mile per gallon requirements in the world. He also shows how Japan has some of the highest, what he doesn't mention is that the reason for our low mpg is that we have such high restrictions on emission output.

The irony is that we can get many more miles to the gallon but when we do that, the product is far worse than what they currently put out. Maintaining the balance between efficiency and cleanliness has been the difficulty.

Preston Ward said...

That is interesting, and I am not sure how that works either. I don't see how paying money is going to make anything better. I did this carbon footprint the other day in my biology class, and it said with everything I do, and if everyone lived like me, we would need 4.5 worlds to sustain us all. I do know that we need to take precaution and be "green" but I also believe that we will be able to adapt, and that things will work out. Honestly I don't feel like God will let us just run out of space to live, but like I said we need to take care of what we have been blessed with, and take care of it. I guess that is my two cents on this topic!