¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

On Mormon Environmentalism

I enjoyed thoroughly reading some of the article about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and its stand on environmental issues. I am a member of this or the Mormon/LDS church as most people know it, and I have never noticed until now that the church hasn't come out with an official statement about Protecting the environment. I believe just as the writer of the blog did that maybe the Church has not come out with a statement yet because of it's commitment to stay politically neutral. However the church does teach and believe that the body is of great importance and should be taken care of. For this reason the LDS church teaches that we should not use drugs or alcohol, coffee and to eat healthy. I believe too such as the author said that just as the LDS church teaches us to watch over our bodies it indirectly teaches us to watch over the earth which is also a sacred creation of God. What do you guys think, should the LDS church and other churches play a larger role in environmental activism?

2 comments:

Preston Ward said...

I liked your post Chaz. I am a member as well and I agree with you. I believe that it is better for the church to stay more neutral on this subject. I believe in taking care of our environment, and all the things in which God has blessed us. However I strongly believe that we do not need to be compelled in all things. The way that I feel is that God has given us the scriptures, other leaders of the church, and not only the church, but throughout the entire community,and blessed us with knowledge on this subject. Therfore we are free to act for ourselves about this subject. I believe God lets us make these decisions to be able to learn and progress. Great post thanks for the question.

preston langeland said...

I agree. Because it does not pertain any fundamental doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it should be left up to the individual to decide.