¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Monday, February 1, 2010

wolves in utah

I was doing some homework, and as I was on the U website I saw this news article about wolves in Utah. This is a short but interesting article. http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14310875?source=rss
In short, this bill passed 20-8, and now the wolves will be taken off the endangered species list, and the DWR will now be able to manage the wolf packs more.

2 comments:

Reina said...

I think it's incredibly arrogant to assume that we have the right to control the populations of wild animals anyway, but the fact that we selectively use that logic to our benefit is plain hypocrisy. If the wolves are ruining the environment and thus deserve to have their population controlled, we too should employ population control because we're doing more damage to the environment than any "wild" animal. A simple limit on children would be something, but the uproar that legislation like that would cause (especially in Utah, considering religious beliefs and the spread of religions... LDS and others) would be horrific. It's quite a shame.

CatherineJ said...

I second Reina's comment. I cannot believe that this legislation passed. I think the idea that wolves entering into Utah (who have no concept of borders or state lines) will be forcibly removed or worse, killed, is a travesty. What right do we have to kill these creatures? They are majestic and part of the natural environment and removing them will essentially be like killing a part of the ecosystem permanently. No good can come of changing what has been present for centuries. These things are soo sad to me and I wish that we could learn to respect the world around us. I worry about the future consequences if we do not.