¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Poor Haiti!

I have been keeping an eye on the news lately and the conditions that make up life in Haiti after the earthquake and I am saddened by what I see. However, I know that these forces majeurs (natural disasters) happen and it is just one in a great line of occurrences in the world. I am enfuriated, though, by the comments of some of our own citizens, namely Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh among others, who claim that this earthquake was a punishment meted down by God for the wickedness of the Haitian society. I don't believe that they can say that Haiti or any other country is more wicked that another. There are terrible things in the world that happen every day. Bad things happen to good people. Soccer moms get cancer. Young children are kidnapped and abused. Innocent people are raped and/or murdered. But, personally, I know that we are all God's children and He loves us. He's not happy with wickedness but I cannot believe that He is vengeful or malicious. Shame on those that think that anyone deserves such tragedy and sadness! Shame on those that make such salacious statements for their own gain! These natural disasters can and will happen anywhere including here in our own promised land. But, God loves us and He will never turn His back on us. (Sorry for the religious torrent. It's not usually my style. However, I feel strongly about this.) May the Lord bless Haiti and help her people to come out of this ordeal.

4 comments:

Preston Ward said...

I think it is really sad as well that the people there are using malicious ways to get the relief support, however my wife and I were talking about one of her college classes how the professor asked my wife what she would do in a situation like that, or if her sister was dying and they only had limited vaccines, what she would do. It definitely put it in perspective for me. I believe it is so sad what happened to the people, and really feel strongly about helping in any way possible to give these poor people some relief. My prayers go out to them.

Dr. Erin Finzer said...

How can we think about Haiti's earthquake in environmental terms? What lessons about people and their relationship to the environment does the earthquake teach us?

Chaz said...

I too think what happened in Haiti is a complete tragedy and I agree that we don't really have the right to judge that because many people participate in vodoo and other forms of witchcraft that the country deserved this. I spent 2 years a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the DOminican Republic. There i taught and got to know many Haitian people. I love these people and some of these people were the best most God-loving people i had ever met. Responding also to la professora, well we can look at the earthquake in terms of the environment as something the happened in nature because of shifting beneath the Earths core. I don't believe or at least i don't think that the earthquake was caused by anything that the people did to the land. However I can see that this people and most people have a strong relationship with thier environment because it has such a strong effect on thier lives.

Stephen Gillies said...

I was doing some research into Haiti for my french class last semester and one main reason they have such bad luck is the major deforestation that has occurred. Because Haiti is so poor the people must rely on wood as a main energy source. Much of Haiti has no trees left, if you have google earth you can see very green Dominican Republic and very brown Haiti.