¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Cove

Hi. The following is a little about me. I have degrees in English and Film Studies from the U. Since I was a little kid, I have always loved the movies and I have always wanted to do something with that. I tell you this to tell you that every year I make it a point to see a few films at Sundance. (I have three tickets for this year.) Last year there was a documentary that got rave reviews and ended up winning the Audience Award for Best Documentary. It's called The Cove. It's all about the journey of the man who captured the 'Flipper' dolphins in the 50's/60's and now is working hard to make up for that by campaigning for the liberty and protection of all dolphins around the world. Specifically, he does a lot of work against the Japanese for their harsh policies against dolphins. The Japanese are one of the only groups left in the world that still go whaling and kill marine animals indiscriminately. This movie blows the lid off of their actions and explains the huge dangers that they are creating. I want you all to see it because it's really well done so I won't give the whole thing away. I just wanted to mention it here in the blog and say that it opened my eyes to the horrific actions of some of our fellow seres humanos. We should learn from them and be better to our Earth because she's the only one we have.

1 comment:

Reina said...

Wow. Thanks for the video recommendation! I just got back from Japan in January, and let me tell you, sushi was EVERYWHERE. As much as I love sushi, I also worry about the vast over-fishing of our oceans. It's something that's difficult for the common person to see, at least, on a daily basis. It's also easy to blame the fishermen, who are only trying to make a living in the best way they know how when (in my opinion)it should be regulatory bodies like governments who determine the fishing agendas and manner in which to go about the fishing that's allowed.