¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Experiencing the gangs

When I was in Costa Rica on my mission my companion and I were robbed at gun point. It was dark so it was difficult to see clearly but the guns they used appeared to be homemade, similar to what was shown in Sin Nombre. All four of the men that robbed us were covered in tattoos. They took our stuff and everything turned out fine in the end but it was interesting watching the movie and reading the book today. It really starts to hit how real it all is. Sometimes I think we find ourselves living in a bubble oblivious to the real world. Either because we live distracted lives or simply because we dont want to the dust we try to sweep under the rug.

1 comment:

McLeanS said...

To me its interesting to see how la mara acts outside of the large cities. I lived in Guatemala and heard a lot of things that go on in Guatemala City, but I was never there. I was in some decent sized places and there were "mareros" that had a few tattoos but they really didnt do anything. It was very rare where I was for missionaries to have any problem with the mara. So its interesting to see different peoples experiences in other places.