¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Important stuff

I am a teller at a credit union here in the valley and do a lot of work with latinos because everyone needs a bank account, right?  Anyway, though most of the people I help are from Mexico, I do know several who are from Central America.  It's very interesting to me now to speak to these people because of the stories and facts I have learned in this course.  I view their lives differently than I did before learning about the turmoil many of them lived in.  It's important stuff to know and really has broadened my world view.

Jake

3 comments:

Andrew Swindle said...

Having lived in Miami for a while a few years ago I learned the same lesson. Thinking that all Latinos that I met here in Utah were from Mexico I had that view changed rather quickly once I came to know more about the central American people and upon returning to Utah found that all along most people that I knew here were actually from El Salvador and Honduras, not Mexico.

JC4990 said...

I wish that the majority of the people in the US could understand why we have so many people here from Central America. Perhaps then, there would be more tolerance. I realized that for me it has been a bonding experience between myself that the friends I know from these countries. It's amazing how much more understanding one can be when they know what the other person's background is and where they came from.

McLeanS said...

The things learned in this class have also widened my view. I lived in Guatemala, so I knew a little bit about the things that happened there, but a lot of people down there dont like to talk about it. This class has helped me connect the dots of the things I had learned before.