¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tattooed Soldier

I have really enjoyed reading this novel. One thing that stands out to me if the use of Chess. Antonio first seems Longoria playing chess in the park. However, what is interesting is how the author jumps back and between narrating Antonio and Longorias point of view, much like chess pieces move back and forth. The novel is very masterfully worded and was a very interesting read. It also goes into a lot of detail and explains a lot about the Guatemalan civil war and has helped my understanding of events that happened there.

3 comments:

Gavin said...

That was really insightful. I hadn't put together the chess game as an allegory for the alternating story lines and subsequent differences.
I really enjoyed the attention to detail the author puts into it. I think the Author writes for the LA Times, so he has a lot of familiarity with the slums and unique living conditions of Los Angeles.

Jordan said...

Me encantó también la manera de cambiar a menudo entre las perspectivas opuestas de los personajes principales. Me gustó como se dessallaron los detalles de esa misma manera sobre Longoria, Antonio y Elena. Creo que me gustó a esta novela más que las otras que hemos leido hasta ahora.

JC4990 said...

I had never thought about that aspect. It was amazing! It is true that the writing style added so much to the novel. I like how he also explained the marriage that Elena and Antonio had through giving the story through Elena's point of view up until her death. It made more sense as to why Antonio held her in such high regard although their marriage was pretty rocky. I actually loaned this book to my roommate because it was such a good read.