¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Incensatez

I lament missing class yesterday because I really wanted a chance to discuss Incensatez with the class and hear your thoughts. For me the book was somewhat peculiar, if that's the word I am looking for. It came and went kind of like one of those little dust devils that come up out of summer's breeze, spinning and controlling it's tiny space, then settling back down having seemingly come from nowhere. At first I was annoyed by our subjects apparent lack of sincerity, and disconnect from the feelings and emotions of those living in the world around him, but for some reason caring for those he was reading about. I soon realized however that most of the time we are in his mind, and our actions don't always match out thought's(though he seemed a bit more brazen than most). I think this disconnect and conceit, which he expresses through the way he treats the women as meat, and rarely refers to people he encounters by their names, preferring to give them nicknames like, "the man with the mustache" etc., is probably the only thing that allows him to get through the work that was put before him. While the ending certainly certainly causes you to believe that all his paranoia was justified, I am still deciding if the email was real or part of a delusion. What do you think?

1 comment:

Felisa said...

For what I read in the very last page,I don't see any reason why the narrator could have made up the email, especially because of the the bishop being murdered in the end of this novel, which is exactly what happened in real life to Bishop Gerardi, after the publication of the REMHI reports that we read in Goldman's article in the paquete.