¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

U.S. policy in Central America

I didn't know very much about U.S. foreign policy in Central America over the past 100 years before this weeks readings (and I guess I still don't know very much about it), but after reading Bananos y Hombres and the reading by Whisnat about Sandino I understand why there are prevalent anti-american sentiments in Central America. I'm a pretty politically moderate guy, but it seems that U.S foreign policy in Nicaragua, and later Guatemala during the 20th century was strongly motivated by North Americas economic interests at the expense of Central Americas development. Its also unfortunate that the Central American civil wars (especially in Guatemala) seemed to occur at the height of the Red Scare in the U.S., causing the U.S. to come down harshly on anything that appeared to be associated with Communism. I know that any nations foreign policy is motivated by its own interests, but I think that U.S. intervention in both Nicaragua and Guatemala really retarded the progress of those nations. Also I got a book on Amazon about a week ago called Bitter Fruit:The Story of the American Coup in Guatemala, I've only skimmed it but it seems like good source if anyone is planing on writing their paper on the Guatemalan civil war.

4 comments:

JC4990 said...

I have a book called Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer. It covers many different times that US intervened abroad to coup kingdoms and government. Kinzer writes about a coup cover up by the US and the UFC in Nicaragua in the early 1900's. I thought it was really interesting. This book also covers US covert actions in Panama, Guatemala and Chile as well. This book does not portray the US as a benevolent super power. I have really enjoyed reading it.

Whit said...

I do agree that U.S. involvement has retarded much of the development in these countries. With the military coup that happened last year in Honduras, the majority of people expressed their idea that the Americans should come in and take care of this. They have become so dependent on us, and maybe afraid of us, that they wait for us to make the decisions for them. It was a very sad situation.

Dr. Erin Finzer said...

We're going to talk about the Honduran coup at the end of the class. Interesting that Hondurans wanted the US to come in and *help*, as the academic and activist communities portrayed the US as somewhat complicit in the affair.

Andrew Swindle said...

Scott,

I wanted to touch base with you and ask for a little favor. Seeing as I have just joined the class, I need to get a hold of someone's notes from the first 4 classes. my email is andrewaswindle@gmail.com, let me know if you can help me out.

Best,

Andrew