¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Popul Vuh

I have previously taken a Classic Maya class, and although we only went over the Popol Vuh for a short time, it was interesting to connect the dots from the video we watched in class to the aspects of the Maya.

Murals, carvings, and paintings have been found all over the Mayan region with depictions from the Popol Vuh. Depictions of Xibalba are often found, especially on tombs of the Mayan rulers. It is also interesting to see how many important aspects of Mayan life are in the Popol Vuh. For example, the ball game was very important to the Maya, and had a lot of religious implications. The stories of the hero twins also involve sacrifice, which was important to the Maya, and the stories also involve maize, which was very important to the diet of the Maya.

I am very glad we got to watch the video, although I have learned about the Popol Vuh in other classes, I was never able to see how the entire story fits together like we were able to do in the video. The video helped me understand parts of the Mayan life that I wasnt even able to fully learn in other classes dedicated solely to study the Maya.

2 comments:

Miguel said...

I agree with you that the video was able to clarify in my mind too some of the uncommon images from the Popol Vuh. It was a very artistic representation. I would love to see other interpretations with today's animated technology.

JC4990 said...

I really liked the video because it made what I have seen at Chichen Itza more real. When I explored the ruins with my Dad as kid I always wondered what all the signs meant.

I thought it was a great way to teach their people about the calendar and how to navigate life after death. Everyone would understand what is going on because all those signs were a part of everyday life.