¡Finzamos!

¡Finzamos!
The Official Blog for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's Spanish 4362/Language 7313.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

La Loba

I was captivated by the introduction of Gavidia’s “La Loba.” From the depiction of El Salvador and how one man could have so much power, such as in the case of don Gerardo Barrios, I automatically put my sights on having this leyenda be another demonstration of the inequalities between the few in power in El Salvador and the majority living in poverty. I was pleasantly surprised on how the leyenda took a turn to the past and detailed how la loba came to be. I enjoyed so much how Gavidia unclothed the current El Salvador and took me on a journey back to a virgin land free from any European influence, architecture, religion, culture, etc. Gavidia at that point was then free to use any form of experimentation with unexpected words and images. Gavidia makes me want to be a better story teller and gives me ideas on how to be more captivating even when writing.

2 comments:

McLeanS said...

I was not in the group that read "La Loba" but from what we talked about in class it sounded very interesting, and I plan on going back to read it after the semester is over. I did read "el encomendero" by the same author and he also gave a very interesting depiction of the indigenous people in El Salvador and how they were used as the work force. The conditions were very well described and I felt like I had a picture perfect image of what the author was describing.

Dr. Erin Finzer said...

They need a "Like" button on blogs to comment easily on postings!

Miguel, do you write?